Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday, Sept. 23

Periods 1, 3, 4, 5, 7
1. Word wall
2. Words in context
3. Learn new vocab
4. Complete VIS sheet
5. Read aloud from "I Have Lived a Thousand Years"

1. aghast: frightened (adj): I was aghast with what I saw going on in the parking lot. I was frightened with what I saw going on in the parking lot.

what might make you aghast?

2. alleviate: lessen (v): The aspirin alleviated the pain. The aspirin lessened the pain.

3. alliteration: repeating the same consonant sound in two or more words (N): Headline writers like to use alliteration. Headline writers like to repeat the same consonant sound in two or more words.

WILD AND WOOLY

Who can give me an example of alliteration?

Why do you think people try to use alliteration when they write?

4. amalgamate: to combine (v): I had to amalgamate rum and coke to make the drink. I had to combine rum and coke to make the drink

5. ambivalent: uncertain (adj): I'm ambivalent about what to do this weekend. I'm uncertain about what to do this weekend.

6. amble: to walk (verb): I ambled over to the principal's office for my meeting. I walked over to the principal's office for my meeting.

Do you think someone would amble if they were in a hurry?

Does this word look familiar to anyone?

7. amiable: pleasing and friendly (adj): I asked the students to be amiable toward one another. I asked the students to be pleasing and friendly toward one another.

Would people yell at each other if they were amiable toward one another?

8. amend: improve or correct (v): I asked him to amend the document. I asked him to improve or correct the document.

what are some things that you amend?

9. amorous: wanting or inclined to love (adj): He felt amorous after he had too much to drink. He felt wanting or inclined to love after he had too much to drink.

what is the difference between being prude and being amorous?

does this word look familiar?

10. inevitable: unavoidable (adj): If I'm outside during the summer, getting a tan will be inevitable. If I'm outside during the summer, getting a tan will be unavoidable.

No comments: